Hey Yorkies, this is for you!
What are some of your favorite memories from your college experience? I will share with you a few of mine.
i went to York College in York, NE. A small, private, Liberal Arts, Christian college in the middle of a corn field.
Each fall and spring I cook a meal to kick of the new season. I have previously posted that I do not like to cook. But there is one meal I am proud to be able to create and this is the meal from my York experience which I make. I can make Japanese beef curry with rice. Many of you will probably figure who taught me to make this meal...Hirotaka Miyata. Hiro was a friend (or boyfriend) of mine during college. We dated for just under a year before we decided we wouldn't be able to make it work. But while we dated he taught me to make beef curry. Yummy! It is so delicious and our family likes to eat it. My husband spent one year in Japan as one of his tours in the Marine Corps. so he loves Japanese food too!
Another memory: meeting up with my girlfriends. I became really good friends with Pam, Annie, and Candace. We were all RAs one year. Many, many nights one of us would be siting in our room, and another of the 4 would walk into the room. A little while later, another gal would walk in and then the 4th girl would enter. We always ended up in one of our rooms just talking and laughing. Girlfriends are people to treasure! When you find gals you can be honest and open with, hold them close to your heart and even if moves find you miles apart, try to keep those girls close to you. Pam and Annie and I have been able to maintain a wonderful long-distance relationship (of course Pam and Annie are sisters so this isn't too hard for them). I am so sad to say that Candace and I have completely lost touch (if you know where she is let me know). Anyway, those nights we found one another, we would usually end up going to the gas station (can't remember the name of it) and getting large sodas. We would stay up so late...laughing, talking, talking and talking and maybe studying once in a blue moon.
More memories: Arguing. Oh man, did I argue with people. I was a little outspoken in those days (may not have changed too much) and I was always willing to "discuss" opinions with anyone who was willing. Most people were much more conservative then I was in beliefs and understanding of the Bible so this lead to many interesting conversations. While at York, I had to figure out what I really believed because I was frequently arguing with someone about something. I am grateful for the opportunity to be around others who helped me to grow in my Christian faith. Since those "discussions" I have been able to reflect and incorporate other ideas, which I once strongly disagreed with into my relationship with God. You take and grow hopefully becoming more like Christ along the way.
My experience at York was so blessed by the professors who worked there. I remember professors looking at each student as an individual and trying to cultivate the person, not just the student. I felt we were treated as whole people who had something to contribute to society.
Well, I loved my York experience and would pay again to go there (just paid off the loans last spring!). In fact, I would pay more to go there! It was so great and I love York. So, what are your special memories of your college experience? Late night runs to the truck stop? $ movies and Taco Bell in Lincoln? Clubs? I would love to hear what you found special.

1 comment:
Mrs. Bs. Getting ready for banquets. Wendy's nights. Playing at the nursing home with Annie. The choir bus. The changing seasons and crunching leaves on brick streets. Being poor and finding fun things to do anyway.
Sigh.
Post a Comment