I have been noticing that quite a few of the blogs that I browse, women who are stay at home moms include some of the following topics:
1. making food from scratch
2. home schooling
3. growing and making own home foods/materials
4. lifting every thought up in prayer -- this is hugely important and will continue to strive for this always!
5. using cloth diapers
I am here to tell you that I:
1. make food from a box because I HATE to cook and bake
2. Wouldn't home school if you paid me...I don't have any patience to do that (I'm also a public school teacher and not sure if I even believe in home schooling)
3. look at a plant and it dies - and why would I make my own materials when I can but them at Target
4. frequently I forget to pray
Sometimes I read the blogs of people who are making pasta from scratch using whole grains while pulling their tomatoes from the garden to make the sauce. How do these women have the time and energy to accomplish these things? How do they just not run to Target to quickly buy household items and food? Am I failing as a wife and mother because I LOVE to eat the most processed food out there...Velveeta cheese block? Am I destroying the future for my daughter because I can hardly stand the smell of rice cereal poop and would rather throw the diaper out never to be seen again because if I see (or smell) that nasty diaper again, I will literally puke? Will my husband become an obese crippled man because I fed him green beans from a can rather than growing, harvesting and canning the beans myself? And foremost, how do these women find time to accomplish all of these organic, environmentally sound habits?!?!?!!? I can barely keep the house clean as it is.
Then I think to myself, it is the responsibility of each woman to decide what is best for her family. Each family has priorities and goals for their family that are God-inspired if the family is listening to God. I do have a recycling bin in which I recycle all the things I can think to put in there...plastic, glass, aluminum, etc. But if growing my own vegetables would mean that our family would starve, then I will buy the locally grown from the grocery store. If home schooling my child would mean that I might sell my child to the Gypsies (who are real by the way, they live in North Augusta, SC) then I will send my daughter to public school. If cooking from scratch means that Matthew would come home each day to a sobbing wife who already burns at least one meal per week, then we will eat meals from a box. I commend women whose gifts include gardening and baking and going all natural. However, these are not my gifts.
I am so glad that I live in a Christian community where each of our gifts can be celebrated and each person encouraged for who they are and how they best glorify God. I will let go of these guilty thoughts and be secure in the knowledge that God leads our home as well as the homes' of the friends who blog about and share what I think are amazing skills. This mommy eats Chick-Fil-A and Burger King. This mommy while nursing has about one soda per day. This mommy will love God with all her heart and celebrate the love of all the mommies who do their best for their children.

3 comments:
So sorry to hear of Matthew's health problems - I'm saying a special prayer of patience for you today and one of healing for him - but enjoy!! Enjoy every minute of forced time together. Or at least most of them : ) And you are so right with this last blog - that is something that I have had to come to terms with, especially on a mission team. Within God's parameters, each family decides what is best for their family - even if the other families might not agree totally. God has blessed each one of us with unique personalities, unique mates, and unique children - and what works for one won't work for all. Don't feel guilty - enjoy that frozen food section, Velveeta cheese, and store bought baby food - for yourself and all those missionaries (namely me!) who would love to be using it : )
Julie
You made me laugh. I have often compared myself to all of the proverbial women out there in the blog world. I think its fine that they homeschool, grow their own food and can everything that's in their garden, and go to the farmer's market and co-op for all of their whole foods.
It's not me to be that. I have felt guilt for not making those choices. Like you and so many others, I've come to the conclusion: I don't love my family any less, I don't wish them dead by feeding them boxed food, and I care greatly about their education and social well being, even if I don't home school (I'm certain I'd have eaten one of my young if I had.) I do enjoy hearing about things that are different from the way I do it. Besides, they aren't points of salvation and we'll all respect one another in heaven as we do on earth.
I don't look down on them and I don't (any longer) believe they look down on me.
Way to be!!!!! LOVED this post and can TOTALLY relate!
Post a Comment