About a year ago a friend who has two boys and then identical twin girls wrote that she had not really ever been excited about being a stay-at-home-mom until then. I so related to this feeling. She was then finally at a point where she was now enjoying her kids, liking being with them and excited about what each day would bring. I was not relating to that feeling. However, I can say that we have reached that point. I used to think of being at home as a time killer until we could settle and the kids were older. I would stay at home because it was easier and best for our family. But I was in the meantime aching to be back in a classroom. I missed the new year smell, the progress of kids who may not be making such progress with others, the thrill of a child's success. I can honestly say, since January, life has been getting better and better. Of course there are frustrating days, but who doesn't have those.
This week with 3 sick kids I realized I am no longer just killing time until I can go back to work. Being able to snuggle with each kid as he/she was sick was priceless. I enjoyed being able to hold them and get them what they needed from a mother's heart. I couldn't imagine my babies even feeling a little crummy and sending them off because I couldn't afford to miss another day of work. I am grateful we are not having to worry about me missing work and a paycheck. I am so grateful for the way our lives have unfolded and for the amazing support of our friends and family.
M and I worked very hard pre-kids setting us up to be in a place where we could afford for me to stay home. I am now so grateful we had a plan and by the grace of God were able to accomplish that plan. We may not be able to go on weekend trips all over Asia, but my kids have mommy here each day.
I also could not imagine being a working mother. How do you get errands done, laundry done, kids' activities, homework, church, etc. How do you do it all and still love on your kids and be there for your kids? You are quite extraordinary women to be able to do it all!
A toast to all mothers --- those who work outside the home, those who stay at home, those who have babies in Heaven, those who have born children or welcomed a child into your home not from your flesh, those who do it alone and those who have a partner, those who can't be with their children and those who reach out in motherly ways to the people around you. We are all in this together
I know some people are very sensitive about this topic. I am not writing this to put down a different way of life for anyone else's family. Each family has to do what is best for their family. If you know me at all, you know I advocate what is best for the family! With M's long work hours, gone for weeks and months at a time, and having to be able to up and go with a moment's notice, there is no other choice for our family. This is best for our family. I have to be the rock that our kids rely on and the person who will remain constant. Leaving no room for work -- and I am recently finding myself so grateful for this! So don't get all flustered and offended. I am only expressing my appreciation for our life. That doesn't mean I don't value you and your life too.
Have a wonderful weekend!
PS - as always stupid comments will be deleted. Caring, loving, supportive and encouraging-to-all-mothers comments welcome!

No comments:
Post a Comment