I was thinking today about how so many of the questions I would get while pregnant and during the boys' first year drove me crazy. Now that we are in the second year the questions don't bother me even close to the annoyance level of last year. Maybe because I now get a full night's sleep most of the time? Maybe because I am not completely overwhelmed by two parasitic babies? Or maybe just because I have gotten used to having twins? Whatever the reason I am not nearly so likely to bite one's head off.
The question we get most frequently these days is, "Are they twins?" But this question is a true question as opposed to asking a very obviously known answer. You remember my favorite responses..."Nope, I just like to collect babies" or "no, I just found this one the other day" or my favorite of all time, "yes, but they have different fathers." Now this question is no longer someone asking a question they already know the answer to. People are now legitimately trying to figure out if the boys are twins. The question, "Are they twins" is usually immediately followed up in the same breath by, "Are they Irish twins." I thought that you would get a kick out of my new answer to these two questions.
Right away I respond with, "We are not dumb enough to have Irish twins unless you have Irish twins then you are not dumb. They are regular twins." Most people laugh and then say the usual about how much the boys don't look alike.
I suppose part of the reason this Irish twin question or even the twin question doesn't bother me much anymore is that the boys really are so different. Caleb is several inches taller and about 2 pounds heavier. They really don't even look related. Without the obviousness of having two babies the same size, I am not nearly as annoyed as I once was. Though this really is probably just due to my sleep-full nights.
My boys are growing and laughing. They giggle with each other, with big sister, and with mommy. They are each saying a handful of words. Connor almost runs all over while Caleb would still much rather stick close. Though since daddy left Connor has become much more needy and Caleb more independent. We had expected this to happen at some point because they have both repeatedly switched roles over the last 16 months. Caleb is pointing to things he wants and imitates almost every word said. Both boys are picking up sign language like sponges (while sister is speaking lots in Japanese). Connor is beginning to point to things around his environment. Caleb growls for a lion and Connor loves to say "uh oh".
All 3 kids are going to the Child Development Center on base (CDC) and they appear to love it! There is a job opening at the CDC that would be perfect...but I need to stay home with my kids right now. I will be working for many many more years, but this time will go so quickly I don't want to miss it!
L is taking swim lessons next week and about to start gymnastics. She is enjoying staying busy and seems to be better behaved when she has lots to do and places to go.
Mama is missing daddy, but doing well. I am enjoying my evenings of quiet and not much cooking.
Have a wonderfully wonderful day! Enjoy your weekend.

No comments:
Post a Comment