Caleb minutes after birth
Connor minutes after birth
Pic from just a couple of weeks ago. They were both standing at the crib screaming so of course we laughed and took a picture!
One of my favorites. I love when they would snuggle up with one another. In the stroller on our walks they still wrap their arms around each other. Last week Caleb crawled on top of Connor and they tandem crawled through the house. Fairly hilarious but no photo.
This is a video of the boys' first moments in the NICU. You can see by how their chests cave in for each breath how much they were struggling to breath. (Your chest shouldn't cave at all).
The moment the Dr. said, "These boys are being born today" I was terrified. I was scared for such an early birth, I was terrified of not bringing any babies home or only bringing one home, I was terrified for long-term consequences, I was terrified for what it would mean for L (how do you explain to her there would be no babies or that mama has to stay away to take care of babies at the hospital? She was one at the time!). I didn't even realize at the time how being a preemie would intrude on the whole first 6 months of life and even continue into the first couple of years.
I am thinking lots about my boys' birthday coming up. They made it! We made it! We have survived the around 5 or 6 trips to the ER for everything from eating poisonous plants to dehydration. They made it through all of L's tortures and curiosities. They made it through this mama loosing her mind on several occasions. They are going to be one year old in just under two weeks! We are having a party with a few of our close friends from here on the island. We hope you celebrate with us in spirit!
Up until November I could count on one hand how many times I had an "I enjoy twins" moment. Since Nov., the moments have become countless. Daily I will watch the boys wrestling, screaming/laughing at each other, talking and cooing with one another, or just watching each other; I am in love with my boys and I love having twins! Well, maybe love is a little strong -- very much enjoy? ;)


1 comment:
Having healthy babies at home means something different to people who have had preemies and/or NICU babies. The pictures of Olivia are so hard to look at sometimes, but they make me so very thankful for where we are today!
Post a Comment