Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Do What feels right --

"Doing what feels right"  How's that working out for you?  I might be getting old, but when I hear people say, "Do what feels right" I want to punch someone or something.

I have a guilty pleasure of watching a very trashy (aren't they all) soap opera.  Since I have 3 little bitties, I only watch it about once every 6 weeks or less.  Trust me, that is all you need to catch up and become just a little dumber for even turning it on.  This show is full of junk!  Today I slipped the show on I during nap time while I cleaned and one of the characters said, "Do what feels right" when giving advise about major life decisions to another character.  (I realize its a show and no major lives are being decided, but you get the point.)  Does society really teach do "what feels right?"

Lets see where "doing what feels right" would have gotten me in my life...

*I would have quit the soccer team in college because it was too hard, therefore loosing scholarships that I would be paying off in student loan bills
*I would have quit college because it was too hard but would have felt "right" to quit when I was overwhelmed
*I would have married someone else and then another someone else -- and we all know how wonderful M is, so I wouldn't have him or the 3 wonderful children I have
*I usually don't want to leave wherever we are moving from and staying "feels right"
*I wouldn't have gone away to college, which is one of the best things I ever did
*My decisions would be based on feelings; which change with the tide
*Not sure any one would ever do anything hard because the hard thing doesn't usually "feel right" and the hard thing is what usually takes you the farthest

Ok, are you noticing a pattern -- all of these are based on me, me, me.  Doing what "feels right" leaves out consideration for anyone else in your life.  Your choices and actions never just impact you.  Others are always effected by what you do, say and choose for your life.  "Doing what feels right" leaves out the consideration for others and the consideration for consequences.

"Doing what feels right" does not seem to be working for very many people, if any at all.  It seems that the people who I look up to "do what is best for others."  When you put others first, you are happier, they are happier and then everyone is happier.  (I know you need to take care of yourself to also be able to take care of others and if you go on a rant about that then you are missing the point of what I am trying to say) Living and giving is definitely the way to go.  Now if I could just remember that in my day to day life, my family would be happier.  Obviously I am still working on this, but at least I acknowledge that doing what feels right isn't the way to live.

Jeremiah 17:9  "The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure.  Who can understand it?"


Where would "doing what feels right" have gotten you?

No comments: