Last week I was dropping L off at school. We pulled up to the school and I could tell the teachers weren't there yet. The lights were off, the doors closed and no cars out front. So I pulled the car up to the school an got out with her. I helped her get out of the car while we chatted and played while waiting for the teachers to arrive. Then one after another, 3 more parents pulled up with their kids. The kids got out of the car and the parents drove away. Wow! Then the door to the school opened and another boy was already in the school where obviously no adult was! I shook my head in disbelief realizing at that moment what a huge cultural difference this is. In the States, who would be sued or shut down for letting kids run around the school unattended?!?!
In America, we worry about who will snatch our children, who will molest our kids, which bully will bother our child. Apparently not in Japan. When picking L up later that day I asked her teachers about that and they shyly smiled (they are 1/2 Okinawan 1/2 American) and mentioned that it is Japan...parents feel safe. My response surprised them I think. I stated that I was not worried about someone hurting L -- quite the opposite -- I was worried that L would turn over the aquarium, burn down the school or find the kitchen knives and accidentally hurt people. She is not a mean little girl, but she is curious. She would be into everything! When I told them that it is my job to protect the world from L, they both laughed. But wow! That was a huge cultural difference!
Another cultural surprise I ran across today was the difference between civilian life and military. I was out doing my 3 mile walk with the boys bundled up (we are in the 40s). We walked by a huge park area. I realized we have been in the Marines Corps. too long when I walked by the hills over the park and did not even bat an eye. You see, there were about 6 HUM Vs parked with Marines in full gear poking out the tops. There were Marines along the hill also in full gear with their riffles out and one guy talking on a radio. The only thought that crossed my mind was, "Must be getting ready for a deployment." Then I went back to concentrating on my exercise. As I continued to walk, I realized that its not something most people see on their walk around the neighborhood. We definitely get to do and see some "really cool" things as L would say.
I must get to house while L is at school. Have a good day!

No comments:
Post a Comment