Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, November 13, 2011

What a life!

I am so absolutely blown away by the difference in our lives since Oct. 27.  That is the day when the boys had tubes put in their ears.  While Caleb is his same huggable, lovable, sweet self; Connor is a different child!

Prior to tubes Connor would throw tantrums up to 3 times per day for up to one hour at a time.  There were times he would tantrum so badly I was convinced something had to be wrong and was moments away from calling 911.  For a child to be thrashing and screaming for that long there surely had to be something wrong, right?  I have worked with kids who tantrum, and believe me those kids who have Autism know how to throw a fit...  But I had never seen one so violent where absolutely nothing would distract or help him.  There seemed to be no apparent cause or solution.  He would just violently thrash until he was exhausted and then be done.  I didn't understand why.  I didn't know what started it.  I didn't know what to do.  I even kept a log of the situation right before the tantrum, possible triggers, who was around and what was happening.  Not once was there a connection or obvious reason.  I was perplexed!  Apparently strong-willed and fluid on the ears preventing hearing are a REALLY bad combination!

The differences include so many things.  He has not thrown one major tantrum since walking out of the hospital!  He has suddenly become a boy who loves giving and receiving affection.  Before he couldn't be bothered with a hug or a kiss.  He comes to ask me for help now which was NEVER the case before.  He asks for kisses when he gets hurt now.  He smiles almost all the time!  He laughs with his brother and sister all the time now.  Whereas before he spent most of his time screaming at them and me.  He responds to my efforts to comfort or distract him when he is hurt of frustrated.  He has not screeched the ear-piercing screech that made me want to slap him each time he did it.  Each screech made my ears feel as though they were shattering which prompted a visceral response that urged me to silence the source!  Thankfully God somehow brought just enough patience that I never hurt him, but I was frustrated with him frequently.  I am no longer at the end of my rope or yelling all the time.  This is just the difference for me!  Can you imagine how the world has opened up to this now happy-all-the-time little boy?!?!?!?!

He seems to be no longer feeling frustrated and outraged all the time.  He is not uncomfortable or in pain anymore.  He understands what is going on and how to get help when he needs it!!!!!

I am so excited for the change in our lives!!!!  I am even considering giving up the maid.  That is huge.  I am excited that for 2 weeks my kids are acting like typical kids.  I can't imagine having a child with a life-long developmental difference and the stress level which can result!  We are so so grateful to have turned this corner and for life to be improving each day!

Connor off to surgery.

Coming out of it!  This part was horrible!  Each boy screamed and thrashed for about 30 minutes.  Then it was over and our lives are changes!  Thank goodness for our 2 friends who came with us!

Caleb is ready to go!

2 comments:

S Westhead said...

This is so exciting. I can totally relate to the tantrums and the frustration about not knowing how to help your child.

Joshua and Julie Marcum said...

So thankful to hear this news! God is good. Praying that things continue to improve.