My 10-year college reunion was last week. Wow. "That is crazy to me to think about" is of course what everyone says. Because of the reunion which I missed (living in Japan put a damper on that one) I have been thinking about my college years. For almost two weeks I had dreams every night about the what ifs and maybes of all the big decisions I made back then. Boy I sure knew nothing and the older I get the less I realize I know.
Sad to say, but I really don't remember college very much. I of course remember close relationships but not a lot of the college experience. I am not sure what happened to those years other than I know I worked hard. I think the working hard is what did it for me. I went on about 4 hours of sleep per night almost the whole time. Between 18 hours/semester, working off campus (many weeks up to 30 hours/week), work study, being an RA and soccer, I have very few and very vague memories of those years.
I do remember my college recruiter saying that I would be married by the time I graduated and I looked at him confused. Why would I get married in college? I was there to get a degree! Then after my first year at York I think there were about 21 weddings...and I figured out what the recruiter was talking about.
I remember hating school the first 2 years and then loving it the last 2 1/2. That would be because I met some very dear friends who I still keep in my heart. But most of the time in York is a blank. I didn't have a camera and I think that is a huge part of why I don't remember much. There is nothing to look at and reminisce about. I also have a terrible memory which is something my daughter has already figured out; she is very patient when I am constantly forgetting things.
About all I remember is being poor...I once was so poor I had no $$ to fill up my gas tank and my boyfriend at the time had to push my car into the gas station and put gas in it. I was too proud to ask but since he pushed the car into the gas station I suppose I really did need the help with a little gas. I remember one semester living on crackers and cheese and when my roommate felt sorry for me she would give me a can of tuna.
I don't even remember doing homework...which I must have done because I graduated with a 4.0 in my major and with honors overall. But how or when did I do it?
I don't know what we did for fun. I don't remember much at all which is such a shame. I am certain that college has played a HUGE roll in who I have become, I just don't remember how I got here.
I hope that my children don't have to work like I did when they go to college. And I will definitely be sending them with a camera!
What are your memories of your late teens and early 20's?

No comments:
Post a Comment