Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, July 26, 2010

EI -- Early Intervention

Update on C & C --

Being a former Early Intervention/Special Educator, I have watched very closely the development of C & C. When taking into consideration that the boys came early, I have watched even more closely. Several weeks ago, we decided that there was enough of a delay to go ahead and refer the boys to be evaluated. I discussed this with the Dr. at the boys' last appointment, but she was of the mindset that the boys just need more time. I agree that given more time, the boys would probably catch up and they probably wouldn't need anything. However, if they qualify, then what difference does it make to have one more person around to provide ideas/suggestions and interact with each boy individually. They don't get much 1:1 time, so a person here exclusively for each boy sounds like a good deal to me.

A Nurse and a PT (Physical Therapist) came to complete the evaluations and sure enough the boys qualify for services. Right now they are only needing physical development. Apparently during the last month in the womb, the muscle fibers develop that help you to make slow and precise movements. When you are born early, as the boys were, the muscle fibers do not have a chance to mature. The PT will be able to help the boys develop these muscle fibers and give us motor movement ideas and suggestions to carry on during the rest of the week. Each boy gets to work with the PT one time/week.

It also appears that each boy has a lazy eye. The muscle problems are probably contributing to the eye problems. So we have appointments to get the boys' eyes checked and see what step we need to take next -- probably just muscle exercises to work on strengthening the muscles.

We are excited to start services soon and get to work -- though I am not sure how to fit in the muscle activities we need to do in between feeding 3 kids, changing 2 boys and making sure L gets to the toilet (before she pees on the sofa one more time), playing, reading books, naps and errands.

The PT suggested that the boys will probably not need services a year from now so that is great! We are thankful that the only concern is physical movement. Otherwise the boys have sparkles in their eyes, smiles on their faces and are cooing up a storm.

3 comments:

davisclan said...

Wow! That's such a blessing that you knew what to look for and were able to identify and address any delay! Imagine trying to catch up a year from now. Good job, Mom!! I'm enjoying your blog. Keep up the good work with those 3 sweeties!

Annie said...

You're doing a great job! I'm sad I don't get to help until December, but help I will! Kudos on getting them the help they need. You're already a super mom. Call me if you need to scream. I will listen...with the phone 4 feet from my ears. :) Love you!

Dana said...

You know, I had totally forgotten about it. But the pediatrician sent us to see a specialist with Emma because she had a lazy eye. I think the eye appointment was a month out. By the time we got there, it had corrected itself so apparently, it's not a huge thing to correct.

I know very little bit about early intervention but it seems to me like it's much easier to fix things as they are developing than to go back later and undo things. I think you're a smart momma!