Normally when someone makes a Wizard of Oz crack, I get very annoyed. It seems as though every person I have met on the planet makes some sort of reference to the Oz when finding out that I am mostly from KS. I say mostly because I am from NM, TX, KS, NE and have lived in 5 places since leaving NE. So after moving around so much and meeting so many people you can imagine that these "jokes" become crazily annoying. If you are one of those friends who made a joke about the Wizard of Oz, I have forgiven you! (Since we are still friends).
However, as I was driving to a home goods store today called Nitori, I realized here I am driving on the other side of the road, with the steering wheel on the other side of the car and the blinker is on the other side of the wheel as well. I am learning to understand signs in Japanese (no I cannot read them, but I am figuring them out). When I am out on the island, I make small attempts to use some Japanese. "WOW!", I thought. This is a far ways away from where I was 14 years ago. That is when the title of the post occurred to me...making fun of myself a little for how annoyed I get at people just being people.
You see, I am a somewhat strong-willed person. Ok, very strong-willed with lots of thoughts and ideas of how things should be done. Fourteen years ago, I was so much more strong-willed with the opinions of an 16 year old kid who had been no where and done nothing. I frequently stated that I would not leave Lawrence, KS and I was certainly not going to be driving outside of Lawrence, KS. Now here I am driving in a foreign country and really loving living here too. I am glad that I have learned in some areas to go along for the ride and enjoy the life that God has given me. To have stuck with my opinions of 14 years ago would have kept me going nowhere and now I get to go every where!
I still struggle with stating my opinions and thoughts. I frequently speak before thinking and blurt out ideas without all the facts. I often have to eat my words or apologize for what I have said. But, I am working on it! I am grateful for the opportunities God has presented in my life and I hope I continue to learn to keep my mouth shut and enjoy the ride.

1 comment:
Oh, how I remember my first few years with you. I miss those days! Glad you're having fun (kind of) in my favorite country. I love you!
Post a Comment