Ok, I have to share one of the most touching things I have seen lately. On Friday night we got to Quantico to visit M. M was not quite ready and still had some things to take care of. So L and I pottied, diapered, and played around in the barracks while M finished up. L has a new habit of holding one of my fingers and walking along. So we walked through the hallway to burn off some of her energy from sitting in a car seat for 8 hours. The barracks looks just like a dorm -- a crappy dorm - but a dorm. So all the guys M is in school with live together on the one floor of the barracks. Most of these guys have been in the Marine Corps. many years, are extablished people with families. So as L and I are walking through the hall, the guys are changing over to the civilian clothes and heading out to get dinner. As many of the guys stepped into the hall, they would stop and look at L. This where I get teary eyeed... The guys would look at her and say something along the lines of she's cute, but then this look would pass over their faces. This look of sadness, joy and longing all in one look. You could see on their faces they were thinking of their kids. Then most of them would tell me about the kids they have at home. They would light up talking about the ages of thier children and the names. Whether the kids are older or one guy has 6 month old twin girls. When they saw L, they all thought of their kids and you could see they wanted to be with their children. I was so touched by these grown men who are trained to kill longing for thier children. So if you see an Acitive Duty military person, thank them for what they do and the time they spend away from their families. Let them know you think of the times they are sparated from their children and you appreciate what they do.
Onto the the rest of the weekend:
What a blessed weekend! We went to stay with the Leonards in DC while visiting M over the weekend. So you know what they did for us?!?!? Brad and Vanessa kept L upstairs with them Friday and Saturday nights. In case she woke up, they wanted to let us have time together. Then they kept her Saturday evening so M and I could have a date. We got to go to a movie and dinner baby-free and just spend time together! It was such a blessing to have that time! So thank you Leonards for the weekend! Getting to see M once per month is not fun so thank you for the gift of time together.
We are so blessed to have such amazing people in our lives.
Please say a little prayer for all the people who are spearated from their children.

2 comments:
I'm so glad you had a great time - and got a date! And I'm definitely praying for the long times apart... You all are sacrificing a lot for a good cause.
Brenda,
Being with you yesterday reminded me once again about how much I miss you. You are perceptive, matter-of-fact, and inspirational. There is an empty place at Pitman! God, please send us another Brenda Collins! And while you're at it, send us a Vanessa Leonard and a Julie Marcum:)
GIGATTAATTGIG
Post a Comment