L has been asleep for 3 1/2 hours! So I thought I would write a post rather than just waiting for her to wake up.
Life is very interesting as a military family. I have to say that one of the most unexpected issues I have learned about since marrying Matthew has been the issue of making friends. My family moved some as I was growing up and it was always easy to make friends. Then I went to college and made friends. Moved to Hawaii where I began to understand a little about discrimination and learn that making friends as an adult was not the easiest. In Hawaii I had one friend (a mom with twin 1 1/2 year old boys) who became my friend RIGHT away. But other people were slow to reach out. I think in part because I was not a Local and I think also that people assumed I would just leave. I did leave, but when I moved there I wanted to stay in HI. I had not planned on meeting a Marine. However, I made friends still fairly quickly; and then I married a military man.
You see, when most people meet us and find out M is a Marine, they are kind, friendly and make some of the following comments:
"Oh, you must move a lot."
"That can be a hard life."
"That must be hard."
"How long are you here for?"
and a few times, "Thank you."
At first I thought the "How long are you going to be here" question was a regular question of curiosity. I have now figured out what that question really means -- "Are you going to be here long enough to make it worth it to become friends." Most people move along and then greet us if they see us again. So, since becoming a Marine Corps. wife; I have learned, in the eyes of some, that most of the time I am not worth getting to know because I will be moving in a matter of time.
There is a second group of friends who will be our friends up until the day we move and then act as though we have disappeared. They never talk, reach out or communicate again.
Then there are the few who wade into our military lifestyle. These are a rare and special breed of people who take the time to get to know my family and myself. These are people who I have realized have a deeper faith and a great appreciation for living in the moment and taking advantage of friends when God provides them.
These are friends who model Jesus' true calling for his people. Spiritually these people, I think recognize that we are forever connected by God.
I am not this amazingly special person who all people need to know...but I do need, crave and desire close friends who will love me and who I can love back. Learning how rare friendships are, I have come to treasure them!
To those of you who have become our friends in spite of us moving away, Thank you!
So a small and insignificant tribute to a few of my friends...
Christie S...You were my first military move friend --- I think about you almost every day and pray for you too. I do love you so much!
Rebecca S...Your frequent phone calls and support are outstanding! You have guided me through several difficult times and I love you.
Katy M...You are a friend who stands the test of time! You become forever friends and we love you!
Pitman -- how do I narrow down the friends we made. The whole church understood our military situation (thank you Patti for opening some insight) --
Patti S. -- You and Dr. Sikes (I still can't say Mr. Steve) welcomed us and opened Pitman doors for us. It was so good to have a Yorkie connection all the way over in NJ.
Brenda P. -- You have the heart of a servant for new moms. You are dedicated and so loving
Mandy -- You have grown so much and you stretched your heart wide open for us
Melva T. -- You are an amazing model for us who are trying to figure out this Christian mom thing
Linda K -- You have been there and done that and share with those of us who are there now. We know we can make it because you are the example
Katherine C. -- Your joy is incredible and contagious. You keep your joy through trials which would knock many people down permanently
Marlene -- You love the Lord! You are learning to rely on the Lord! I love when you share how prayer works immediately in your life!
We are now in a new place and making new friends. There are already a few who stand out and I am excited to tell you about more friends to come.
There are more to write about but the baby is crying -- so pausing for now. Off to catch the tears...
Would you post about special friend/s you have had in your life.

2 comments:
This is something I struggle with too... Praying that God will open doors and hearts into the lives of some wonderful new friends there in S.C. and in the future in Japan!
Brenda,
I love you and admire you so much! Although I've already responded on FB to your wonderful tribute to our Pitman Family, I just want to say again that you have left a hole here. You made a difference in a year! Thank you! GIGATTAATTGIG!
Post a Comment